Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Tuesday 20 May 2014

The Comrades Novice Interview - Adele Smit


When did you first put on a pair of running shoes and head out the door? 
AS: After 2010 soccer world cup, I looked fat in a photo :-)

Do you remember how bad that first run felt? 

ASOh my goodness it was 9km out on kaapsehoop road, I felt slow and sluggish and it was hottt like hell and I could hardly breathe.

Do you realise that you might feel like that again at the end of Comrades? 

ASYes, but I am hopeful that the "conquering" feeling will surpass the fatigue! 

Which event and when was your first road race? 
ASVan Wettens 10km

What inspired you that you had to run Comrades - even if it was 'just once'? 

ASI saw comrades finisher with a huge "boep" and of course I judged the book by its cover and said to myself if he can do it so can I. Jokes aside... we live in awesome RSA and its a privilege to have a race like that on our doorstep, so that is reason and inspiration enough.

Do you realise that you probably won't run this race 'just once'? 

ASYip... but hush hush...don't tell my family that.

Who has inspired you along your journey to Comrades 2014? 

ASSo MANY people, definitely Sandy and Coral as well as Jean and my friend Liza who entered me, Nadine with her Comrades heart. Johanica with her supportive ear had to listen to my endless moaning about my sleep deprivation from my baby. So a special thank you to ALL for inspiring me with your smiles and "vasbyt positive pittbull never give up attitude". 

Who is your Comrades hero? 

ASBruce Fordyce and any person running with a disability. 

Who is supporting you on the side of the road on race day? 

AS:My hubby Anton. The BEST husband/babysitter/supporter ever. My REAL hero!

Have your supporters accepted the fact that you might be grumpy, unfriendly and miserable when they see you along the route, and that they just need to 'let it be'?

ASYes, I will try to force a smile for them and of course for the tv cameras. But I get grumpy when I'm hungry so I hope they will give me something to munch :-)

What lesson have you learned from running that you will definitely be implementing on 1 June? 

AS"Fake it, till you make it" 
Your attitude really determines your altitude.  Positivity an preserverence and a lot of praying will pull me through. 

What horror story have you heard that you fear most might happen to you during the race? 

ASHeard someone took nap for 20min and ran again. Not enough toilets on the route that's a biggy?

What advice can you give a non-runner, who might be aiming for their first 10km? 

ASJust do it! How do you eat an elephant? Piece by piece.

What do you think you might think about over the 89km between Pietermaritzburg and Durban? 

ASChuck Norris jokes... and how awesome it is to be able to run with friends and people from everywhere - our smartybox nation, it is a privilege. Gratitude in my heart so its wonderful what-a-lot-i-got*

What part of the Comrades route are you fearing most?

AS The middle part...

How do you plan to celebrate your first Comrades medal? 

ASMy precious baby is turning 1 so we will celebrate both our first big milestones together. She was born last year just when the comrades start shot went off.

When will your next run be after Comrades?

ASStraight away, running after my busy 1year old *

1 comment:

  1. You Go Girl!!! supporting you in spirit, hope you enjoy every moment, just know you're an inspiration to me! All the best Lauren xxx

    ReplyDelete