Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Comrades Novice Interview - Liza Ackerman

When did you first put on a pair of running shoes and head out the door? 
LA: I always been a runner but for Comrades it was only really in January, due to my dad suddenly ending up in ICU with cancer and after my lump was removed end November.

Do you remember how bad that first run felt? 

LAYip, and a bit more.

Do you realise that you might feel like that again at the end of Comrades? 

LABring it on! :)

Which event and when was your first road race? 
LA10km Nelspruit club race in 2006.

What inspired you that you had to run Comrades - even if it was 'just once'? 

LASomething I always wanted to do. With my dad that where on respirators and battled to stay alive and breathe. I decided although I am not really ready and did definitely not do enough hours on my legs. Every step I am going to take will be a in honor of God putting breath back into my dad lungs and for the great, great miracle of live, as the doctors said he will not be able to breathe on his own again and he is.

Do you realise that you probably won't run this race 'just once'? 

LAYes, if all goes well I hope to do it next year for time.

Who has inspired you along your journey to Comrades 2014? 

LAGod, My dad and my dear friend Adele that despite of starting of as a non runner never ever failed to show up for training and show me what true friendship is.

Who is your Comrades hero? 
LAEvery person attempting it, and more so people with disability or greater causes to finish.

Who is supporting you on the side of the road on race day? 

LAMy wonderful husband is my greats support. He is the best! Christelle that supports me in all my different sports and I train with, and all my wonderful K-fit family - you rock.

Have your supporters accepted the fact that you might be grumpy, unfriendly and miserable when they see you along the route, and that they just need to 'let it be'?

LAAdele get ready for a big bunch of flowers, heheee...

What lesson have you learned from running that you will definitely be implementing on 1 June? 
LAFaster is always better.

What horror story have you heard that you fear most might happen to you during the race? 

LAPeople dehydrating and passing out.

What advice can you give a non-runner, who might be aiming for their first 10km? 

LAJust do it! It's not about the time it is about being out there and doing it.

What do you think you might think about over the 89km between Pietermaritzburg and Durban? 

LAGod will lift my legs and I will put them down.

What part of the Comrades route are you fearing most?

LA The last 30km. I believe that is mind over matter.

How do you plan to celebrate your first Comrades medal? 

LABy giving thanks and glory to God.

When will your next run be after Comrades?
LAHopefully next year with my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment