Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Comrades Novice Interview - Eddie McGee

When did you first put on a pair of running shoes and head out the door? 
EM: It was somewhere towards the end of 2011. Actually went for a morning walk and decided to start running around the block. Every morning.

Do you remember how bad that first run felt? 
EMTerrible. I had a route of 4km which took me up Van Wyk street. I said I will run this hill till the pain stops. 

Do you realise that you might feel like that again at the end of Comrades? 

EMYes I have.

Which event and when was your first road race? 
EMMy first was the Van Wettens 10km - 2012. The worst . Inflammation in the knees and could hardly walk after the 50 odd minutes. 

What inspired you that you had to run Comrades - even if it was 'just once'? 

EMI always said, I want to run the Comrades one day. The bucket list thing, you know?

Do you realise that you probably won't run this race 'just once'? 

EMYes. I have not done one yet, but my sights are already on 3.

Who has inspired you along your journey to Comrades 2014? 

EMObviously much support from my family and Philip van Rooyen - these days Dr Phil - 7 time Comrades silver medalist.

Who is your Comrades hero? 
EMI know so little about all the athletes, So I stick with Philip. His knowledge and way of thinking makes him a great part time athlete and I admire that.

Who is supporting you on the side of the road on race day? 
EMMy wife Hannelie and my son Arthur.

Have your supporters accepted the fact that you might be grumpy, unfriendly and miserable when they see you along the route, and that they just need to 'let it be'?
EMSounds like my personality.

What lesson have you learned from running that you will definitely be implementing on 1 June? 
EMTo think. Also know and understand your body.

What horror story have you heard that you fear most might happen to you during the race? 

EMTo pass an A seeded athlete passed out next to the road.

What advice can you give a non-runner, who might be aiming for their first 10km? 

EMFirst crawl before you walk. Take time and accomplish goals from 5km to where you might see yourself.

What do you think you might think about over the 89km between Pietermaritzburg and Durban? 
EMMy wife and son. And some beer. 

What part of the Comrades route are you fearing most?

EMThe last 15km. Always like a terrible dream which never ends. 

How do you plan to celebrate your first Comrades medal? 

EMI have not thought of that. Will have time on the 1st of June to think about it. 

When will your next run be after Comrades?
EMI need to prepare for Kaapsehoop, so I think middle towards end of July. I like to run with my wife and son, so anything before that will be some 5km family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment