Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Comrades Novice Interview - Justyna Porter

When did you first put on a pair of running shoes and head out the door? 
JP: November 2012!

Do you remember how bad that first run felt? 

JPIt wasn’t painful but very very hard work… I was out of breath after running 100 meters!

Do you realise that you might feel like that again at the end of Comrades? 

JPBring it on! :)

Which event and when was your first road race? 
JP23 February 2013 (my daughters birthday!) - my first 21km! (PWC race in Nelspruit)

What inspired you that you had to run Comrades - even if it was 'just once'? 

JPBeth and Lawrence Bloch, we were at our mutual friend’s house for dinner and that’s where I thought maybe…. one day and one time only!!:)  
Also, I had a pleasure to meet Mr Graeme Fraser almost 10 years ago, I guess that was the first time it crossed my mind to run Comrades one day:)

Do you realise that you probably won't run this race 'just once'? 

JPHmmm, really!?:)

Who has inspired you along your journey to Comrades 2014? 

JPAll the club members Ive  shared my sunrise mornings with!! Special thanks to my "A Team ladies" lead by Janine, who was there walking with me from pole to pole when I needed a break at the early stages of my running career! 

Who is your Comrades hero? 

JPEveryone who has done Comrades or attempted to do Comrades!!! 

Who is supporting you on the side of the road on race day? 

JPMy husband Stu and my daughters: Molly and Jennifer.

Have your supporters accepted the fact that you might be grumpy, unfriendly and miserable when they see you along the route, and that they just need to 'let it be'?

JPI’m never grumpy:):):)

What lesson have you learned from running that you will definitely be implementing on 1 June? 
JPPatience (because of my ITB injuries, I will go slowly!), gratitude (glorious runs/mornings, sense of accomplishment), discipline (the early mornings!!!!:)

What horror story have you heard that you fear most might happen to you during the race? 

JPI want to stay positive and will enjoy every minute of the race however long I’m able to be part of it, hopefully to the finish!!! But I think what I’m dreading the most is to have the ITB problem come back in the first 5-20km… 

What advice can you give a non-runner, who might be aiming for their first 10km? 

JPFirstly, you must give it a go, there is only one life!
Walk and run when you can, walk/run, after a few weeks you will be able to run more and walk less!

What do you think you might think about over the 89km between Pietermaritzburg and Durban? 

JPHow lucky and privileged I am to be part of such an amazing event. 

What part of the Comrades route are you fearing most?

JP From the Start to 60km… I know that the second part will be painful, but mentally I feel I will be able to cope better in the second part of the race, knowing that I’ve run 60km - furthest ever.

How do you plan to celebrate your first Comrades medal? 

JPAt the LVCC breakfast with my teammates the day after!!
When will your next run be after Comrades?
JPWeeks, months later… as soon as I get rid of ALL aches, pains and niggles!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment