Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Running In Circles Newsletter - April 2013


CHAIRMANS CHATTER

Let me start off by thanking all our helpers, marshals and every single club member involved at the Bateleur run on 16 March. The race was a huge success. I had quite a number of phone calls the week after congratulating Nedbank LVCC on hosting a well-organized event. Our next race will be the Halls race in July.
Our Nedbank LVCC Blog has been well received and it’s fantastic to see our members posting their comments and running photos on the site. Keep it going guys! Thanks to everyone behind the scenes for putting in some hours to get this up and running. It’s really taken our club to the next level.
It’s the end of March and if you don’t have a license number by now, you can only be a new runner! All new applications from 1 April will be handled on an individual basis. Your number will cost you R 100 and an additional R 95 for postage. Numbers will only be ordered after payment is received and issued at Time trial on Thursday afternoons, 17:00. There will be no exceptions anymore!
We will be posting the 2013 committee members names and pictures on our blog during the next week. Thanks to all the members willing to give up some of your time to make this club run smoothly. We have some new challenges and goals this year and will keep you as runners informed. There are some important events coming up in the next month or two leading up to the comrades. We will finalize these and post on the blog during next week. We will make sure you receive some newsflashes too!
Please note that we will order some additional kit in the next month. We will try to accommodate everyone. In the meantime, please see what we can do with the stock we have. Discounts will also be posted on our blog in next week.
Finally, Loskop ultra will happen on the weekend of 20 April. Around 50 of our club members will camp at the resort. We will keep those members informed on our evening plans. I’m sure it’s going to be a fun weekend!
There is some serious millage to be done during the next 6 weeks. Look after yourself and try to steer clear of injuries!
Please support our time trials on Thursday afternoons at 17:30 at LVCC CLUBHOUSE.

See you on the road!

Steve Brisley

Easter Weekend Long Runs


Easter Monday Long Run

Members that completed all three Easter Weekend runs, around 80km in total.
Back: Iain and Lala.
Front: Petro, Michelle, Gladys, Sandy, Coral, Andrew & Toy.



Classic Sting
Insert from our printed mag “THE STING” from 2008 . Written by JJ Van Heerden (Jeanne’s Son)
My Experience at the Elands Valley Marathon
This year I decided to train harder and run faster. It started wellwith some awesome training with the morning group. On the PWC half I thought let me push hard and see if I can run a decnt pace and keep it up for the whole 21. To my surprise I got it right and ran 1.32! Excellent I thought – now let me try a 3.15 Elands Marathon.
So the Monday before the marathon I decided to force any kind of supplement possible onto myself. I started consuming hundreds of litres of water daily and reading any kind of running mag I could lay my hands on. I missioned off to Mopani and what was to be my downfall I met Frikkie, (name changed for security purposes), a USN rep who asked what I was looking for? I replied that I was not sure but I needed anything/everything that would make me run faster and longer! This was all he needed to set him off on how he was coaching and advising supplements to various professional athletes running both comrades and completing the Tour de France. Oh well my gullible moment was in and I soaked it up like a sponge as did my Mopani purchases. (how I still regret it)
He gave me carbp fuel, cytopower, vooma gels (need one for every 20 mins according to expert Frikkie), amino stack, vo2max, and even phedra cut (I already look like I came out a concentration camp). So I spent my life savings on what would turn out to be the most expensive Brooklax ever invented! But I went on and bought it because it would make me faster and stronger than superman himself!
Monday evening I started consuming all the miracle medicine and psyching myself for my world record marathon. Despite the fact that all these supplements were so sweet, made me feel sick and I was starting to pee jet fuel, I would not be defeated I kept drinking them!
On race day I consumed more of it, actually in a desperate attempt “slightly more” than was advised. 5 minutes before the race and in the zone I started with what we call in Afrikaans “stress poeppe” and began to get nervous.
They shot the gun and off I went for my gold medal. As I reached the 4km I had to make my first of many pit stops (please note I had no toilet paper or tissues with me)! That’s where the running stomach started and there….grass was the answer. A 5 minute pit stop and I was on the road flying again. Just before the tunnel my stomach started to back chat me and I had to endure the dreadful stretch of the tunnel to the other side just to pounce like a jackrabbit back into the bushes (vomiting and using the grass again). I got onto the road uncomfortable and now sopping wet from the early morning grass.
Things started to look better unitl the 9km mark – pit stop number 3 (vomiting) Another 5 minutes I was back on the road already gatvol of this race and my quest for 3.15! 11km mark – back in the now familiar bushes and this time there is no way I am going to use grass again, so I use my brand new Woolworths underpants. As I got out the bushes Mark had overtaken me and the 3.15 dream was now shattered. I thought if I could reach Mark I could run with him? Guess what … no luck 13kms …back into my homelands the bushes( where I now lost one sock). 10 minutes later and I was back on the road and started walking for 3kms. At 16kms I went back to my grassroots (here I lost sock number 2). Now I have no more scks or undies, no more hope of finishing, no more fluids in my body. All I had was ideas on how I was going donner frikkie when I returned home!! I now reached 19ks and Kathleen and my dad passed me and I even received some white gold (toilet paper) from my mom. One last pit stop at 21k and that was it, I had enough and couldn’t go on anymore!
Remember ….never ever take advice from a body builder!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment