Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Monday 8 April 2013

Race Report: Jackie Gibson Marathon

It was with a mixed feeling of anxiety and excitement that we left Nelspruit on a road trip to our first Joburg marathon on Saturday morning. We were going to do the Jackie Gibson Springbok marathon in Kibler park and according to Jeanne it was one of the toughest races we could do. 

Saturday morning early we woke up and headed towards the start line. What a surprise to see Marie-Louise, Riaan, Barbara, Murray and Bridget there all lining up for the 42. The gun went and off we sped for the double lapper. All we saw before us was hills and more hills, it was clear Jeanne was right. The downhill’s was of no relieve with all the ups and flats. 

After the first 21, I contemplated just to run in and finish, but I knew my other half (Mirandi) would be upset with me. The second part was even tougher and I nearly cried for my mommy. At the end when I eventually finished I just wanted to sit down, wow  what a race and what a great Comrades trainer. 

Poor Anthea and Colin had to end their road trip back to Nelspruit with stinking parents with well deserved sweat.

Fanie Bekker

No comments:

Post a Comment