Nedbank LVCC Calendar

Friday 5 July 2013

Running In Circles Newsletter - July 2013

CHAIRMAN'S CHATTER


It’s good to see that there are still some runners amongst us training for, amongst other things our club away run, the Skukuza 21km coming up in August! It’s definitely not easy training this time of the year. It is good though, to start getting back onto the road with some shorter distances a couple of times a week. And also some cross training for the next month or two. Time to get motivated for the running season starting in September. Set some goals, starting with your time trials on Thursday evenings and building it up to a good Kaapsehoop marathon early November. So, best of luck in getting organized for which could be your best running season ever!

The HALLS 10 and 21km will be hosted by Nedbank LVCC on the 13th of July. We need all our club members to assist us on the day with allocated tasks. Please email us at lvcc@gmail.com and tell us if you can help on Friday and Saturday of the event. Please note that we will be running the route on Saturday 6 July so there is no reason why any of our club runners, apart from podium finishers, will need to run on race day. A clean- up run will take place on Sunday 14 July. The time will be communicated to you via SMS. Please support your running club in hosting a successful event on the 13th of July.

Unfortunately some of our local runs have been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. The committee will have some club runs organized on those days. Please look out for some interesting trail runs that will take place in the coming month. Get your trail shoes out and go have a day of fun on some challenging single track routes.

In the meantime keep yourself up-to-date by following the blog.

Happy running and see you on the road.

Steve

Comrades club survey 2013

Thank you to all who participated! We appreciate your time and effort.
Enjoy reading the results….

 1. Did you attain your running/personal goal at this year's Comrades?

75.0% (12) - I finished.
12.5% (2) - I started but DNF.
12.5% (2) - I didn't get to start.

It was an unusual day in that @ about 15km my body was struggling, something that has never happened before. Normally around 15km my body is warm and I'm mobile.

I had not done an up-run since 2006, which happens to be my best Comrades so far! For some reason, I had forgotten what the route is like after halfway. My view is that it's not only the 1st half or 50km that is tough. It's actually tough all the way. The day started well and we were well within our target until we finished Inchanga. We realised that we needed to adjust our time, which we did for the first time. By the time we reached 14km to go, we had decided to run for fun and finishing before cut-off. All in all, we enjoyed the day, which is the most important thing for me. I am going back next year! It's better to run than be on the side of the road!

Would like to have done a sub 11, but original goal was to get in before the gun!

Comrades 2012 was a total disaster for me. I started the race with an injury and I never could get the training right during that year. I entered Comrades 2013 but changed my mind in December and then again in late February and started training. Also the back to back medal motivated me to return and do the ultimate human race again.

Chest infection

It was first contact for me. I was really scared to run Comrades. I'm a Japanese. And other marathon I always kept SAMURAI costume. But this time, I adandoned my costume and my pride. I wanted to finish this marathon, and it was correct decision. By 40km I tried to keep my pace even in uphill slope. I felt OK, but after 40km, it was like hell. My leg was became very tired. It was very difficult to run. Around 60km, I found big bus. I joined and tried to keep stick with that bus because pace was really suitable for me. It was not slow and not fast. And I realized a bus made me stronger than alone. I felt we are helping each other for goal. That things was awesome and brilliant. I was really impressed with that things during running. Then I finished with many comrades! It was so nice experience.

I ran well, But i battled a bit. I experienced pain behind my knees and a constant stitch in my gut.

I ran my second Comrades this year after committing to it in the final 10km of last year's race. My 1st was quite an ordeal and even though I had done the training I made lots of mistakes in the month and especially the week before the race. I upped the training this year which was easy to do after joining a proper running club and applied what I had learnt from last years errors during the build up to the race. I was sick the week before the race but managed to recover in time by spending pretty much the whole week in bed. I stuck with my original plan for a sub 10 and resisted the temptation of a sub 9. On race day I ran my own race, never got pulled along by numerous fellow Lowveld runners that I met up with on the road. I cramped as expected at halfway and because of the fierce berg wind and heat I decided to change my goal time to 10:30. I managed to nurse my cramping hamstrings successfully and finished 10:29:35!

It was an Amazing adventure for me!! Just wished I could carry my Dad to the end. I was heartbroken to see that my Dad had to pull out of the race but blissful when I saw him and my family at the finish! I enjoyed every moment of the race!!

Wow! I just loved race day.

Fell ill the week before, didnt realise how much it would take out of me on the day. But dug deeeeep and finished another "journey" that is Comrades. Be grateful when you finish Comrades, its a privilege, not a given right.

Struggling with achilles injury

On 14km to go I let my running partner go on without me, even walking fast was very painfull on my knees. I was also very nauseous of the Gue's sugar. On 6km I climed into the bailing bus, would not be able to finish in 30 min. A lot of people support/encourage me to run with them, but I was unable to run another k.

2. The weather was?

64.3% (9) - Challenging.
21.4% (3) - No problem.
7.1% (1) - Full scale global warming hell.

3. The worst part of the day was?


Around midday and towards the polyshorts

The weather was very windy and dusty @ Makathini Flats. I had a very funny moment though when I nearly got knocked over by a Bonitas distance marker because I was running with my head down.I don't think I would have been able to stand up and run again. The worst part of the run were all the small inclines after Polly Short.

Not finding Arthur's seat and holding onto the flower for many kms as could not throw it away.

When I realised 72km into the race that I would probably not run a sub 9 time and therefore miss out on a Bill Rowan medal.

Watching the start

It was very windy and hot. It made me very dry. I needed more water.

Probably somewhere on the second half about 20-18 to go.

Between 20km to go and Little Pollys. My hips were too sore to run and I walked for what felt like an eternity. An unofficial bus got me going again at Little Pollys by running pole to pole.

smelling all the chicken shit, almost the whole way because the wind was blowing towards Durban

Saying goodbye to my brother at the start and leaving my Dad at 53km because he could not continue anymore. They were my inspiration to complete.

There was no worst part!

When I felt my body rejecting me and it wanting to quite before 60km. Never in my life before have I fought so hard against myself. It was like a battle of GOOD and EVIL, the GOOD said "push on you can do it", the EVIL said "you can quite now, you know you want to". Each one got the upper hand at times, but EVIL was winning the war. But GOOD said you will never take me alive.

climbing of the bailing bus at the finishing ground.

Not filling well

the first 15km

4. The best part of the day was?
After passing the polyshots

All the way up to the last 14 km.

Having JJ catch up with us and finding Riaan - could relax a bit and listen to their advice.

The best part of the day is Comrades itself really although I think starting I block B was probably the hi-lite of the day. The tension and emotion in the front is something else. The first time I saw the elite runners I knew it was game on. Also finishing Comrades is something special considering that I manage to improve my time with almost 2 hours.

Seeing Claude win

I joined big bus. It was awesome. I realized a bus made me stronger than alone. I could push myself more because of bus, other runners. And it decrease wind.

Introducing myself to Alan Robb up Inchanga. And reeling in a guy who claimed he would run a sub at pollys. And seeing Adrian just after Pollys .

Cresting Inchanga still feeling strong (the only climb I feared) and feeling confident.

nedbank tent, for once nick had his catering right and there was a beer, in fact 2 beers, I managed to swop my wors roll for another beer.

Standing at the start with my Dad......Memory that will never be forgotten! Also meeting up with Corral, Sandy and Riaan at 20km to go. Was a privilege to have finished with them. And Thirdly the sandwich and Cream Soda at 60km!

Seeing fellow club runners,family, friends and spectators along the road.

When I realised I would make it and still get a Bronze, I stopped running at the entrance to the stadium and walked the whole way in soaking up the atmosphere and stopped to give my daughter & sister a kiss before walking to the finish.

2 different people placed their arm around me and spoke encouraging words.

15 to 45km

5. The funniest thing I heard on the day was?
Can't recall

Gladys and I always find things to laugh about. It makes the runs more enjoyable. The funniest comment was whether the people that come in so late really do the training.

JJ being called Jee-anne

The funniest thing wasn't actually something I've heard but rather something I saw. Murrays blood stained chest. I thought someone shot him with a paintball gun.

My friend gave me Japanese food which is rice ball. It was so delicious! I was energized a lot.

When I told Johan Wolmarans from NMC that we cant allow a pommie in a rhino suit to beat us, especially in this heat, he replied "As dit jou dag is, is dit jou dag". Even though he sounded a bit despondent at that instance, it worked because we ran sub 6 splits after that!

some ones been in the bushes with a bad tummy, actually the chickens.

Didn't really focus on that.

Run like you stole something!

Going up Polly Shorts & hearing one of the Unogwaja Challenge (cycle from Cape Town to Durban & then Run Comrades) runners apologize to fellow runners that he needs to walk a bit, HALLLOOOOO YOU HAVE JUST CYCLED FROM THE CAPE & NOW RUN 80KM !!! Man did my body feel pathetic then.

Someone saying:" The only thing standing between me and my medal is a marathon"

one fan called me by a name

6. The club seconding points were?

78.6% (11) - Welcome like an oasis in the desert 
14.3% (2) - Unnecessary
 7.1% (1) - OK

7. In closing I would just like to thank?
The spectators, people manning the refeshment stations, medical teams that assisted all those who were battered by the race throughout the course & @ the medical tent.

1. Club seconding points, they were a welcome sight. 2. Lala's brother for looking after us on the way.
3. My running partner, Gladys, for all the training that we did together and listening to all that unsolicited advice.

All the wonderful LVCC members who made me believe I could do it, my family for their great support and encouragement and of course my running partner, Coral.

I have to start at the very top and thank the committee members for their dedication to improve the club and its athletes. For every club run they organised which I attended my running improved. Also to every single fellow club member that I ran with during the year. During weekdays I have to thank Elsa de Beer for keeping me company and motivated in those early morning hours. Then also a final thanks to Toy and Kristy Dupper. My 2 oldest and dearest friend who believed in me more than I could have believed in myself. I've managed to run PB times on all my distances since I joined LVCC last year September which comes too show with a positive support base, improvement is guaranteed.

I thank to LVCC for giving us number. I couldn't enter without your support!

My family for putting up with all my nonsense and my club mates for all the support and belief they've given me since joining last year.

all the water points and the effort from everyone at the club over comrades, there were club members out all over just supporting. but especially steve not sure if I was hallucinating, saw him at 30km, saw him at 60km, sort of expected to see him at the finish, let me down there

All the people that seconded on the day, especially my family! It was an Amazing experience!

Every Club member for the tremendous support and encouragement.

Our whole Club from roadside supporters to fellow runners giving much needed support as they went by. I would like to repeat what Jeanne said to me before my first Comrades 3 years ago. "Even if you are not religious, on Comrades day you will be" its true, I prayed along the route.........lots.........many times............so in closing I would like to thank the Lord.

My club

thank me for i finished the race


Watch out for our new virtual coach section to our blog. Run your first 10/21/42km with our panel of experts!

Anthea at Take a Step For Children 10km

Steve, Andrew and Fanie at Take a Step For Children 10km

No comments:

Post a Comment